Vegan Chai (with Nut milk)
I have scoured the world of vegan “milks” to try and make a chai that I could tolerate. I didn’t even dare hope for a chai that I would LOVE! There are two “milks” that have brought me hope again: Macadamia nut milk and Almond Milk (but only from Thrive Market, and only the Thrive Market brand, likely because it doesn’t have fillers or gums or added vitamins).
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- ½ of a cardamom (crushed in a mortar and pestle or anywhere)
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup macadamia nut milk (Thrive Market Almond Milk works in this too)
- Organic CTC Assam tea (I always use Organic CTC tea)
- -Don’t use whole leaf tea, that is not for chai.
- -Tea is one of the plants that is cultivated with tons of pesticides, so organic is a good idea.
Boil the water with the ginger and cardamom.
Add 1.5 tsp of the CTC Assam tea and lower to a simmer for 2-3 minutes.
*Real Chai drinkers don’t add cinnamon. Cloves: mayyyy be, not cinnamon. Don’t get me wrong, I love cinnamon, it is pretty close to a super spice! But just not in chai.*